No data exists for the row/column. at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataReader.DoValueCheck(Int32 ordinal) at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataReader.GetValue(Int32 ordinal) at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataReader.get_Item(String name) at DynaSite.Misc.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\Dan\Source\Workspaces\Workspace\Dynasite999\Misc.aspx.vb:line 41Select Visible as sPage FROM Buttons where [Url] = 'Misc.aspx?PageNum=5' and AgencyID='924' Middlesex County Crime Stoppers
How it Works
About Us
Crime of the Week
Unsolved Homicides
Unsolved Crimes
Bank Crimes
Submit a Web Tip
Web Tip Follow-up
Wanted Suspects
Text a Tip
Law Enforcement Partners
Crime Awareness
Missing Persons
Canine Search & Rescue
Public Alerts
Contact Us
Follow-up on an existing tip.


On September 2, 1970 Cathleen Carroll was found dead in her home at 62 Independence Drive, East Brunswick NJ by her husband at approximately 4:05 PM. She was last seen alive by her husband and children around 10:30 AM that same day.

Cathleen died of injuries sustained during an attack by an unknown assailant. The attacker is believed to have entered the home between the hours of 11 and 12 AM.

If you have any information in regards to this homicide please contact the Middlesex County Crime Stoppers.

Submit a Tip


On March 7, 1971 at approximately 9 AM the body of Jean Wilson Day was discovered by her daughter in their home at 901 Gates Ave. in Piscataway. When police arrived they found that the 40 year old had been attacked and murdered sometime the previous night.

If you have any information regarding this murder please contact the Middlesex County Crime Stoppers.

Day was a beloved chemistry professor at Rutgers University and in her memory the University has put together a scholarship to help students. The Jean Wilson Day Scholarship is open to all students and you can read more about it and Dr. Day`s life here.

Submit a Tip


On June 4, 1972 the body of a man was discovered in the trunk of a car at Vic`s Amoco Station on 278 Pershing Avenue in Carteret NJ after a strong odor and flies swarming the trunk of the car was reported. The car was a green 1971 Buick Electra. After running the registration number on the vehicle and confirming with a business partner of the suspected victim, the body was identified as that of Hilliard Brown.

Hilliard Brown was a resident of Newark NJ and is reported to have last been seen by his wife leaving his home at 46 Lyons Avenue on Wednesday, May 31, 1972 at approximately 8:30 AM.

Brown was not known to have had any enemies and his death came as a shock to everyone he knew. If you have any information in regards to this murder please contact the Middlesex County Crime Stoppers.

Submit a Tip


On October 10, 1971 New Brunswick police responded to a call from the Parkside Hotel where they found the body of Karen Diane Stephanishen, 31. She died of injuries sustained during an attack by an unknown assailant. Stephanishen was a manager at the hotel on Albany St. in New Brunswick, but was originally from Idaho.

If you have any information regarding this homicide please contact the Middlesex Country Crime Stoppers.

Submit a Tip


On February 13, 1965 a mother and daughter Anne, 41, and Mae, 11, Rubenstein were found fatally stabbed in their home on 437 South Third Ave in Highland Park, NJ by an unknown assailant. They were both pronounced dead on arrival when authorities reached their home.

If you have any information in regards to this attack please contact the Middlesex County CrimeStoppers.

Article from

"It is something that has never really left the minds of anyone in our family," recalls Aviva LaGasse, Rubenstein’s niece. "It also really changed the innocence of Highland Park."

The slayings of 41-year-old Rubenstein and her 11-year-old daughter, Mae Rubenstein, were as senseless as they were brutal, authorities have said. They remain unsolved, despite getting a fresh review in the 46 years since they occurred.

"We are hopeful that, one day, evidence in the Rubenstein case will lead to an arrest," said James O’Neill, a spokesman for the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office.

According to police records and previously reported accounts of the Feb. 13, 1965, crime, Mae, a sixth-grader at the now-defunct Lafayette School, was alone in her parents’ home at 437 S. Third Ave. Her father, Robert, and brother, Elihu, were working at the Star Lumber Co. in town. Anne Rubenstein was food shopping.

Upon her return, Rubenstein found Mae, slashed in her own home. The mother confronted the attacker and, like her daughter, was savagely stabbed. The Middlesex County medical examiner determined Rubenstein was stabbed with a long-blade kitchen knife some 35 times. Mae suffered 15 stab wounds and her jugular vein was slashed.

Rubenstein’s body was discovered by Maurice Feller, her 9-year-old nephew and LaGasse’s brother, who came to the home to get a drink of water. She was lying in a pool of blood in the foyer, which showed signs of a desperate scuffle. Rubenstein was still wearing her heavy winter coat, and loaves of bread were scattered on the floor.

Alarmed by the scene, Feller ran to a neighbor who lived on the second floor of the building. After seeing the mother, she discovered Mae’s body in the kitchen and called police.

Both were pronounced dead at the scene.

No one has ever been labeled a suspect in the slayings. No weapon was ever found.

A motive or explanation of such a violent crime also has not been established, as investigators found no attempts of sexual assault or even robbery — with more than $100 that was in the house left behind.

The crime scene, according to LaGasse, was cleaned quickly to ease the shock for Robert Rubenstein, who died last year. Also, as part of Jewish tradition, the mother and daughter were buried within 24 hours of their deaths.

"I think now in terms of crime and investigations," LaGasse said. "I don’t think there’s any way a crime would be cleaned so quickly."

There have been theories, LaGasse said. She cited one rumor it was a case of mistaken identity, that the killer happened upon the wrong family.

There have also been efforts by authorities to keep the case alive, even in recent years. In 2005, LaGasse said, she was queried by Highland Park Police because they were close to bringing someone in for questioning.

Apparently, however, nothing came of it. Her calls to Highland Police after their initial contact went unanswered. Highland Park Capt. Scott Golden said he could not comment on LaGasse’s contention because the detective who approached her is on sick leave.

The county prosecutor’s office said it continues to review the case.

"The investigation remains active," O’Neill said. "We believe that the person who killed Ms. Rubenstein and her daughter made some mistakes that have been helpful to investigators."

Submit a Tip


On November 26, 1964 the body of a man named Edward Daniel Garretson was found in the Delaware-Raritan Canal between the Rt. 287 bridge and the Calco Foot bridge. He died from injuries suffered from an apparent assault by unknown assailants.

He was reported missing by his wife four days prior to his body being found. It is believed that he was engaged in an argument with two men at his home on 19 Jackson St., South River prior to being reported missing.

If you have any information in regards to this murder please contact the Middlesex County CrimeStoppers.

Submit a Tip


On April 27, 1969 the body of 17 year old Linda Balabanow was found in the Raritan River near the Hess Oil Company Dock 1st Reserve Terminal  on Smith St in Keasbey NJ.

The Middlesex County Prosecutors Office has recently reopened this case and needs your help. If you have any information regarding this homicide please contact the Middlesex County Crime Stoppers.

Article from

NEW BRUNSWICK — Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew Carey announced Thursday he is reopening the 47-year-old killing of Linda Balabanow, who was 17 when she disappeared on her way home from a store in Roselle and ended up in the Raritan River in Woodbridge.

Convicted killer Robert Zarinsky has been the prime suspect in Balabanow`s death since her body was found, a month after she disappeared in March 1969.

Zarinsky was just tied to a 50-year-old murder case by the Monmouth County Prosecutor`s Office Wednesday through a new analysis of DNA evidence and other evidence.

"We are going to take another look at the case," Carey said. "I have had recent discussions with Acting (Monmouth) Prosecutor Gramiccioni and am thankful to him and his staff for the information that they have shared with us. As we do with all cold cases involving homicides, we regularly review whatever new evidence may be available, and we are hopeful whenever we find another piece of the puzzle."

When Balabanow`s body floated to the surface , her skull was cracked and her jaw was broken, according to an autopsy performed in 1969. The medical examiner determined she had been killed by a ferocious blow to her head.

When detectives executed a search warrant on Zarinsky`s car in the investigation into the disappearance of Rosemary Calandriello, 17, of Atlantic Highlands, a hammer was found that contained some skin and hair similar to Balabanow, according to documents released during Zarinsky`s 1975 trial for Calandriello`s murder.

Calandriello had also disappeared in 1969.

Calandriello`s body was never found, but a Monmouth County jury convicted Zarinsky of her murder and he died in state prison more than seven years ago. He was also suspected in the killings of at least three other girls in addition to Balabanow.

The Middlesex County Prosecutor`s Office maintained it never brought charges against Zarinsky for Balabanow`s homicide because there was not enough evidence. 

Submit a Tip


On October 5, 1970 the body of a man named Vernon Landin, 22, was found in the back seat of a car parked at the New Jersey Woodfinishing Company on Amboy Avenue in Woodbridge at approximately 9:15 AM. The vehicle was a 1967 Buick Riviera. Landin was pronounced dead on arrival from injuries suffered from an assault by an unknown assailant.

If you have any information in regards to this homicide please contact the Middlesex County Crime Stoppers.

Submit a Tip


On April 29, 1969 at approximately 2 AM Gilda Ryan`s body was found in her home at 8 Dolan Street in Sayreville. The mother of 3 had been stabbed to death.

If you have any information regarding this homicide please contact the Middlesex County Crimestoppers.

Original newspaper article from 1969:

Sayreville Murderer Hunted

NEW BRUNSWICK – Law enforcement officials continue to sift through clues in their search for the slayer of Mrs. Gilda Ryan, a Sayreville housewife.

Mrs. Ryan died at her home at 8 Dolan St. on April 29 after being stabbed 13 times.

Lt. William Keyes of the Middlesex County Prosecutor`s staff said the investigation is continuing with the assistance of Federal Bureau of Investigation experts and others knowledgeable in crimes of a similar nature.

The body of Mrs. Ryan, the mother of three children, was discovered on the night of the killing by Robert Lewis, 33. Since the discovery, many persons have been questioned in connection with the crime, Keyes said.

A kitchen knife, believed to be the murder weapon, was found at the scene of the murder. 


Submit a Tip


On the evening of January 1, 1976, a man named William Andrews was assaulted by an unknown assailant on the corner of Redmond street and Joyce Kilmer Avenue in New Brunswick, NJ. He was rushed to Middlesex General Hospital where he was pronounced dead due to injuries sustained during the attack at 8:37 PM.

The victim was walking with a friend at the time of the assault and is not believed to have known his attacker.

If you have any information in regards to this murder please contact Middlesex County CrimeStoppers.

Submit a Tip


On the evening of July 31, 1962 Warren G. Harmor, age 56, was walking back to his home from a liquor store in the Kingston section of South Brunswick Township when he was attacked. The purpose of the mugging was to obtain two bottles of wine, and Harmor was found lying in front of the Kingston firehouse shortly afterwards.

Harmor was taken home after the incident, but had to be rushed to Princeton Hospital the next morning where he died six days later on August 6, 1962.

If you have any information regarding this murder please contact the Middlesex County Crimestoppers.

Article from The Daily Home News on March 9, 1963:

Admits Kingston Killing


SOUTH BRUNSWICK — State police of the Princeton barracks said today they have obtained an admission in the fatal mugging of a Kingston man last August.

Howard W. Titus, 21, formerly of the Little Rocky Hill section along Route 27 here and now of Brooklyn, admitted the attack, a state police detective said.

Died in Hospital

Warren G. Harmor, 56, of 21 Heathcote Road, died in Princeton Hospital six days after the mugging. He was a former Marine master sergeant.

Harmor was on his way home from a Kingston liquor store when the attack took place as he walked by the Kingston firehouse. What was the mugging`s purpose?

"For the purpose of obtaining two bottles of wine," state police said.

Titus and John K. Alston, 25, no address available, were arrested in New York City on a robbery charge.

New York detectives said the two admitted they were wanted in a breaking and entering case in Elizabeth, and that a check with authorities there indicated they were wanted in the fatal mugging.

Not Involved

But state police said Alston does not appear to have been involved. Police, who obtained a signed statement of admission from Titus, said the mugging is still under investigation.

Harmor died in the hospital after undergoing brain surgery. On the night of the attack police found Harmor in a state of shock. He was given first aid and taken to his home.

The next day his family found him unconscious and he was hospitalized.

Police Chief Fred Holsten said at the time of the attack that "nothing other than the wine was taken." Harmor had two bottles of French table wine.

Spotted at Scene

Titus and Alston were charged with the armed robbery of a Brooklyn drug store Thursday night after they were picked up by patrolmen who spotted them hurrying from the scene.

State police said procedures for bringing Titus to Middlesex County to face charges in connection with the fatal mugging have not yet been decided upon. Meanwhile, Titus remains in custody of New York authorities, who are holding him on about five charges," state police said.


Submit a Tip


On April 29, 2003 at approximately 12 AM, George Lopez was assaulted at his home on Florida Grove Road in the City of Perth Amboy. Lopez was taken to Robert Wood Johnson Hospital where he was pronounced dead about 2 hours later due to his injuries.

Lopez had been answering the door when he was assaulted. The suspect is described as wearing a blue baseball cap and a blue t-shirt.

If you have any information regarding this homicide please contact the Middlesex Country Crime Stoppers.

Original Article from the Star-Ledger:

P. Amboy man shot to death answering door Police believe victim was targeted by killer


George Lopez had just returned to his home on Florida Grove Road in Perth Amboy when someone rang the front door bell. A man in a dark hood on the other side of the door greeted Lopez by firing three shots through the closed storm door, striking the 30-year-old man in the chest shortly after midnight yesterday, according to police and relatives. Rescue workers airlifted Lopez to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, where he died at 1:40 a.m.


Middlesex County authorities said they have no suspect or motive for the slaying, but said it appeared Lopez had been targeted by his killer. The victim, whom relatives said was devoted to caring for his quadriplegic brother, completed parole last month after serving nearly eight years of a 12-year sentence for robbery. He also was awaiting trial on charges of causing a drunken-driving crash that killed a Cranford man in South Plainfield.

Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce Kaplan said police were certain there was no connection between the slaying and the drunk-driving charges, but he declined to say how authorities reached that conclusion. Police also were equally sure Lopez was not the victim of a random act. "It appears that Mr. Lopez was the intended victim of the shooting, " the prosecutor said at an afternoon news conference in New Brunswick.

Lopez`s relatives said the man had been at JFK Medical Center earlier in the evening, seeking treatment of back pain, and had returned home sometime after 11:30 p.m. Monday with his girlfriend, who was not identified. "There must have been somebody waiting outside, " said Lopez`s stepfather, Carmello Valentin. "How would they know he was at the hospital?" Lopez told his stepfather and his mother, Francisa Valentin, he would be home about 11:30 p.m. Monday to care for his brother, Richard Lopez, as he usually did at night. The parents went to sleep about 11:30 p.m., and Lopez came home with his girlfriend. Moments later, Lopez answered the door and was shot three times, Valentin said. He said the gunman shot Lopez in both sides and just below the waist. Valentin said he was awakened by the girlfriend`s screams. "They shot him. They shot my boyfriend, " he recalled the woman saying. The shots shattered the glass in the storm door. The decorative window to the front door was marred by a bullet hole.

The girlfriend could only describe the gunman as wearing a dark hooded sweat shirt that covered most of his face, Valentin said. "The only person who could have seen him was (George), " the stepfather said.

Assistant Middlesex County Prosecutor Nicholas Sewitch said Lopez was charged with aggravated manslaughter after police alleged he was intoxicated when he ran a red light Oct. 19, 2001, and killed Richard Spence, 50, of Cranford at New Market Road and Hamilton Boulevard in South Plainfield. Sewitch said no trial date had been set for Lopez, who also was charged with carrying a small quantity of cocaine. The assistant prosecutor said cocaine was not a contributing factor to the crash.

Lopez had been on parole for the robbery at the time of the crash and returned to prison. He was paroled a second time July 22, 2002, according to state corrections department records. He was born in Perth Amboy and was a lifelong resident of the city. He had formerly been employed at the J.M. Huber Corp. of Edison, where he had worked with his brother and stepfather.


Submit a Tip


On February 25, 1982 at 8:35 AM an explosion killed Andrew and Patricia Puskas in their home at 182 First Street in the Township of Middlesex.

The explosion was caused by a bomb disguised as a package on the Puskas front porch. Before the device detonated one of the couple`s children was able to identify it as containing two blue glass bottles. Pieces of blue glass were later found at the scene and the Middlesex County Prosecutor`s Office needs your help identifying it. A flyer with the glass`s detailed description is below.

If you have any information about this double homicide or the glass found at the scene please contact the Middlesex County Crimestoppers.

New York Times article from 1982

Original Police Flyer:


Submit a Tip


On August 27, 1994 at 1:16 PM a woman`s body was found in the area behind the rear parking lot of the Siemens Corporation in the Iselin section of Woodbridge Township. After an autopsy was conducted it was determined that she was the victim of a Homicide. The victim was identified by fingerprints to be 38 year old Perth Amboy native Marilyn Ramirez. The autopsy determined that she died from multiple stab wounds.

Ramirez lived on Huntington Street in Perth Amboy and was last seen outside her apartment arguing with an unknown male at around 11 PM on Friday, August 26, 1994.

If you have any information about this murder please contact Middlesex County Crimestoppers.

Submit a Tip


On July 25, 1999, the New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) was notified that Julio Cesar Tello had been assaulted by unknown assailants in front of 315 Handy street and transported by ambulance to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital where he was pronounced dead due to multiple injuries sustained during the attack. He was 21 years old at the time.

The NBPD received the original call of an injured man down on the sidewalk at approximately 3:59 a.m. this same date, from neighbors who had either seen or heard the assault and observed Tello lying on the sidewalk bleeding. The NBPD immediately initiated an emergency response.

The victim is believed to have engaged in an altercation with three of four other males prior to the attack.

If you have any information in regards to this attack please contact the Middlesex County Crimestoppers.

Submit a Tip

Page 5 of 7Prev | Next

All Site Content / Copyright © 2018 / Middlesex County Crime Stoppers
Dynamic WebSite Design / Copyright © 2018 / Anderson Software